Tuesday 22 January 2013

Kitchen Storage

The other night I stumbled upon a blog post that I haven't stopped thinking about. This lightbulb went off for me and all I could think was, wow what a fantastic idea.

I can take no credit for this whatsoever. But it was too neat not to share. How to re-vamp an old hutch into useful, dare I say modern, kitchen storage. There are so many Ikea hacks today to turn plain jane Ikea furniture into built-ins, but why not take an old hutch with character and revamp it? I followed in Emily's footsteps and did I very quick craigslist search for the Boston area....omg there are hundreds. Here are a few I found for less than $200.


Here's an example of a finished product. I love it!

As I mentioned on Friday, I visited several open houses on Sunday afternoon with my mom. It was really interesting. And eye-opening. J & I have decided to work with a very limited budget in the hopes of keeping our condo, paying down school loans a little quicker, being able to travel still, etc. So many of the homes need work, some need a lot of work... I'm down for some work definitely. And like I've mentioned, J would like to totally revamp an old home. Seeing ideas like this gets me really excited to think about the possibilities of updating a space to exactly what we want.

Thank you Emily for sharing such a fantastic idea! 

Another route to go if you're feeling adventurous? Build your own rustic hutch. Um, how amazing is this? Definitely not modern, although is rustic the new modern? Who knows, but I do know that this is a fabulous piece that I would welcome into my home any day.


If you haven't heard of Ana White, I suggest you read up.  Woodworking genius! I bought her new book this fall and cannot wait to build something have J build me something!


I hope you find these ideas as inspiring as I did. Not only are older pieces of furniture made better than many pieces today, it's nice to go green and reuse something, and I'm sure the wallet doesn't mind either!


No comments:

Post a Comment