Tuesday 6 March 2012

Baked Cod with Chorizo & White Beans

It's high time I add another recipe to this blog.

Growing up, we ate fish on Friday nights when we could. That's how my mom grew up, and that's how she decided to raise us. To this day, she still tries to cook fish on Fridays when she can and I think its a great tradition. The key to fish is that you really should eat it the day you buy it. So for J&I, most Fridays are out of the question.

The grocery store a few blocks from us is small and does not have a fish counter. So unless J can grab something on his way home from work, trying to cook fish during the work week is tough. So for us, Sundays have become the day we cook fish for dinner if we can. Now, this does not happen nearly often enough. And every time we have a good fish dinner, I think, why don't I do this more often?! Beyond not wanting to drive to the nearest grocery store or fish market to see what looks fresh, I really can't tell you why we don't incorporate more seafood into our diet. It's certainly a goal this year.

Well, lucky for J, I had a bridal shower this weekend outside the city and decided I'd hit the bigger, better, and definitely cheaper supermarket on the way home. And when I saw that fresh, wild caught cod was on sale, I knew EXACTLY what we'd be having for dinner.

I have to thank my mom for this recipe. I have no idea where she got it, but we love it. And anyone who's on the fence about fish- this recipe is definitely a great starter. There are so many other flavors going on, it's sooo good!

What you will need (for 4 servings):


1 tsp. EVOO
1 shallot finely chopped
2 ounces Spanish chorizo or turkey kielbasa diced
1 tsp fresh thyme (I used a dash of dried thyme)
1 pint grape tomatores halved
1/2 cup white wine, divided (yes, I used $2 buck Chuck, why not?)
1 15oz. can great northern beans, rinsed
1/2 tsp salt divided
1 1/4 lbs cod, cut into 4 pieces



Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a cast iron/enamel skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. **If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you can use a medium saucepan on the stove top and coat a 9x13 casserole with cooking spray to transfer the meal from stove top to oven.

Add the shallot, chorizo and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute - 


Add tomatoes and 1/4 cup of wine. Cook stirring occasionally until tomatoes are broken down and wine is almost evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes.



While you have the wine uncorked, pour yourself a glass.


That's not really in the recipe, but it sure does make cooking more enjoyable. :)

Ok, next stir in the beans and 1/4 tsp salt. Remove from heat.



Sprinkle fish with remaining salt and pepper. If using an iron skillet, move the mixture around to place the pieces of fish underneath. If using a baking dish, place the fish in the baking dish and then top each piece with the bean and tomato mixture. Pour in the remaining 1/4 cup of wine. Cover with foil (or skillet cover) and cook until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.



The smells from this dish are amazing. J & I were so eager to eat by the time it was done.

First glance - 


And plated with some green veggies - 


There were just about no leftovers from this meal. And being that its light, white fish I didn't mind indulging in seconds. 

It's a terribly easy dish to throw together with little clean-up if you're able to use the same pan for stove top and oven. Also, you're able to use one cutting board & knife if you prep everything at once - first cut the veggies, then the chorizo, lastly the fish. I think the colors and smells from it make it seem much more sophisticated than it is. Which earns me major points in the wife/homemaker department. ;)

I hope you'll give this dish a try. You will not be disappointed.

Bon appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment