Wednesday 14 March 2012

Turkey Meatloaf with Feta & Sun-Dried Tomatoes

If you're looking for a healthier option to meatloaf- here is your solution. I can take absolutely no credit for this recipe. It is a Giada De Laurentis recipe that can be found here. And with more than 350 reviews, you know it's good!

I will save you many of the details, and focus this post on pictures of the process Giada uses. After J & I tried this recipe I sent it to my mom, my mother-in-law, my sister, and my future sister-in-law. Everyone that tried it loved it! I have heard that it's a little salty and J & I did notice that this last time, so make note and adjust if you're not big into salty foods.


Both times I have made this recipe I have paired it with an arugula and shaved parmesan salad. We love arugula, and I think its bite pairs nicely with this meaty dish.

To shave parmesan cheese, use your veggie peeler. Yup, it's that simple. And makes such a nice presentation.

Also, the last time I made this, I pre-made it on a Sunday night, wrapped up the mixed meatloaf in cling wrap, and stuck it in the fridge. Monday night I had J take it out of the fridge an hour or so before I left work and let it warm up to room temperature. Then he placed it in a loaf pan, and stuck it in the pre-heated oven before I got home (hence the no pictures of the loaf pan). Coming home to dinner already in the oven was such a treat!

Some ways to modify the recipe I've thought about -
  • add Spinach instead of parsley. Or in addition to.
  • I've used wheat bread crumbs every time I've made it
  • I've also used reduced-fat Feta cheese every time I've made it
  • Use a leaner ground turkey
  • I use skim milk rather than whole milk since we already have it
  • Use goat cheese instead of feta....hmmm I may need to do this next time!
I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment